Latest posts by TNC Staff (see all)
- Sneak Peek: Here’s What You Can Expect from ‘The Margins’ - 24th April 2018
- The ‘Buffy’ Reboot Should Be Helmed By a Woman - 14th March 2018
- Want to Write for That’s Not Current? - 11th March 2018
Do you watch a lot of movies or binge on TV shows? Perhaps you spend stay up to ridiculous hours on a school night playing video games? Or maybe comic books are your thing? Do you want to be a writer instead of an adult?
Heck, chances are all of those descriptions apply to you. If that’s the case and you want to write about your interests, we want to hear from you.
TNC is aspiring to be more than your typical pop culture site. We want to gather a roster of strong voices with like-minded interests and just have fun while we try to become important. As we move forward towards the highways of tomorrow, we want to expand our team with a diverse group of people who share our passion and enthusiasm for pop culture. Right now we’re in a building phase, so we’re looking for some people who want to grow with us as we try to become the little engine that could.
However, we’re only looking for enthusiastic writers who can contribute at least semi-regularly. We’re not slave masters by any means and we fully understand that real life comes first. At the same time, however, we have a ship to run and we need a functioning crew. But it’s a fun ship, with easygoing captains. Some of our writers contribute to some popular outlets and were able to use TNC as a springboard to get there. So while we can’t pay your bills as we don’t make any money (if we do, we’ll split it), we can offer you a platform (I bet you’re tired of reading that, and we hate having to write it).
Naturally, we’re looking for content that will appeal to a wide readership, but we’re also not commercially-motivated. We won’t reject pitches for being too weird or niche. Good ideas are good ideas, and that doesn’t necessarily mean mainstream all the time. More than anything, we want fun, thoughtful content that beams with insight and passion.
If you’re still interested in writing for no money, keep reading:
What We’re Looking For:
- Knowledgeable people with a strong interest in movies, TV, comics, gaming, and like-minded entertainment.
- People with their finger on the pulse of pop culture (past, present, and future).
- Informative, well-researched and entertaining long-form features about cool topics.
- Multi-media content (this is an area we’ll be venturing into soon)
- Lists (we think they’re cool)
- Contextualized news (basic reporting is boring and everywhere; we want your perspective, we want to know why it’s important, and if you can create something silly out of it that’s fine as well).
How to Apply:
Step 1: Email email@example.com with “TNC Contributor Application” as the subject line.
Step 2: Say Hello (or some hip lingo akin to it) and answer the following:
Do you have previous any writing experience?
Pitch three article ideas you feel would be a good fit for our site (even if it’s not like anything we’ve published before).
Do you have WordPress experience? (Not essential; we’ll teach you if you don’t know this alien platform)
Tell us why do you want to write for TNC.
Tell us some of your favourite things (movies, TV, etc).
Optional: Tell us a really bad joke.
Step 3: Send us a writing sample. If you haven’t been published on the web before, a word document is fine. While experience is preferred, it’s not essential.
We look forward to hearing from you and maybe even becoming best friends.